Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3)

For us gamers, this week is a very exciting one. It's the week of the Electronic Entertainment Expo, also known as E3. It's this week where every major company in the video game industry presents it's upcoming software and hardware to the press to create an initial buzz before those items are released. Way way back in the day, it was E3 that gave the world it's first look at the original Nintendo Entertainment System. In the past few years it was E3 that showed us our first look at the Xbox 360, PS3, and the Nintendo Wii. It was never even called the "Wii" until E3.

On the software side, E3 has not only introduced us to the games that we now know and love, such as Halo, Metal Gear Solid, and Grand Theft Auto, it has also allowed us to play those games very briefly. It was two years ago that we first saw someone step on stage and swing a wii-mote to hit a virtual tennis ball. Today, it's the ultimate craze.

So this week is this year's E3, and there really isn't a lot of hardware to talk about. There are no new consoles or crazy gadgets. This year is all about software. New games to play on your PS3, 360, and Wii. I've been following the coverage and here are a few games that have really impressed me so far that look to be released in time for this holiday season. For your viewing pleasure, I've put the E3 trailers for each of these games on the right.

Ghostbusters (PS3, 360, Wii, PS2)


This game looks like a ton of fun and will definitely be on my buy list. The game is a brand new story line for the Ghostbusters where you play a new recruit on the team, hired by Egon and Ray to try out all of their new equipment that they feel is just too dangerous for them to test out. The story has some familiar scenes and enemies but also has a lot of new content as well. What I am really impressed with is that the story was completely written by Dan Akroyd and Harold Ramis and the game has the full cast back for voice work including Bill Murray. I loved Ghostbusters growing up and if this game is half as decent as the trailer looks, the I will love the game as well.

Gears of War 2 (Xbox 360) Oh hell yeah! When the first Gears of War was released two years ago, I said that this was the reason why we play video games. The sequel looks like it is going to take that game and put it on Red Bull. There are a lot more enemies, and the battles look a lot more epic than the first, and that's saying something. They mention that this game will have a much more detailed storyline than the first, which is awesome, since the first game I thought the story was pretty lacking. The trailer looks incredible, definitely check it out.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (Xbox 360, PS3)

Ok, so I'm a big Star Wars fan. You caught me. I grew up watching the movies and I love all things Star Wars. Having said that, this game looks great. The game takes place between Episode 3 (the last movie) and Episode 4 (the first movie). You play as Darth Vader's apprentice and you are learning all the ways of the dark side. You start off as just the baddest bad ass in all of the galaxy, and then you start to get tempted by the ways of the Jedi. This is a complete reversal of the movies where you start good and get tempted by the dark side. I think the game looks awesome and I can't wait to play it.

Fallout 3 (Xbox 360)
This is a role-playing game that was created by Bethesda. This is the same company which created the game Oblivion a couple years back which took about 100 hours of my life. With the same quality as that game, they've created a post-apocalyptic US. The bombs have dropped and you are stuck in the wasteland of what is left. The game looks awesome and if it's as in depth as Oblivion was, then this will be a sure winner.

Left 4 Dead (Xbox 360)

Here's another that is just freaking awesome and definitely on my buy list. In this game you are in a team of four and you are stuck in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. Those zombie apocalypses seem to be happening a lot lately. But in this game, you have to work together with 3 buddies to get your whole team out of the horror. You can't leave anyone behind. Only together will you survive. I personally love co-op gameplay. It's just a ton of fun for me to play with buddies and get through games together, and I love the fact that this game is completely revolved around that idea.

Nintendo Wii

One of the things that I'm definitely disappointed in so far at this year's E3 is the Nintendo Wii. Now I love my Wii, but the biggest issue I have with it is the fact that there are no real good games for it. I think it's very innovative, but the game developers are having the hardest time releasing it's full potential, and this year's E3 is just more of the same. They have announced no good games at all for the Wii. The Nintendo press conference sounded like an analyst meeting. They did nothing but talk about pie charts and bar graphs of how sales are through the roof. And while every other developer is coming out with a ton of new games, Nintendo sits there with nothing. Very disappointing.

PS3

There are some really good looking games for the PS3 coming out, including Resistance 2, which looks to be just a huge title and the debut trailer for God of War 3. I played the original God of War on the PS2 and it was very well done. The way that you fought through old Greek mythology was just fantastic. This God of War is the first on the PS3, so hopefully it will be fantastic, but I don't think it will be released this year.

Also, I'm very happy that the PS3 has decided to lower their prices. This is great news. As the PS3 becomes more affordable, then it will become more popular. That means better games. Although I'm an Xbox guy, I definitely don't want to see the PS3 fail, and with this E3, it looks like they are really starting to hit their stride.

Now I'm sure I'm missing some games, but these are the ones that I'm keeping a close eye on as we move toward Christmas. Maybe if I'm a good 30yoGamer for the rest of the year, Santa may stick one or two of the titles above in my stocking on Christmas. I guess I'll just have to wait and see, I just hope the wait isn't too bad

Until next time,

- The 30 Year-old Gamer

No comments: